Tuesday 20 October 2009

The Getty Villa - Malibu

The first museum I took E to was The Getty Villa in Malibu, Ca. She was 6 months old at the time. It wasn't really my choice, we went with my brother to fulfill a school project. He didn't want to go alone so we tagged along.

We had to book tickets online. Although they are free, there is limited entry allowed. The museum was easy to find, it is just off PCH and has plenty of parking on site for $15 per car. Check the website for more info www.getty.edu

The museum wasn't really my style, a lot of Greek and Roman antiquities. Although the fountains and gardens were beautiful. I enjoyed the atmosphere and it was a nice, pleasantly cool day to walk around.

They had a cafe that I felt was tasty enough, but it was over priced, gourmet versions of kid favorite classics, such as asiago grilled cheese.


Eisley was too little really to enjoy any of the exhibits. They do, however, have a kids room. I think that the kids room is more appropriate for older children. The best part was a large screen behind which the kids can don swords and crowns. A light creates a silhouette and the kids have a lot of fun making themselves look like large, looming gladiators. They also have pages with a picture of a vase which kids can decorate and take home.

I would not recommend this museum for babies or toddlers. Unless of course the baby is still stroller bound and sleeps often. The only thing toddlers will enjoy is the kids room and I think it may only hold their attention for a short time. I definitely say this is best for older kids or an adult only outing.

No comments: