Thursday 11 December 2008

Sudden silence is loud

As far as colicky babies goes, my daughter was definitely borderline. I'm sure there are parents out there that have had worse. It was however frustrating to not be sure if she was going to scream at any moment. There were days when she and I would just cry together as I rocked her because I had no idea what else to do. She'd be fed, changed, just taken a nap. I would change dry diapers just to have something to do and hope that it would magically change her mood. Maybe it was just an itchy string in the previous diaper?

I kept trying to find the miracle answer online or from the doctor, but the answer seemed to be unanimous that one day it would just...stop. How could it just stop? In the midst of a holding a red-faced screaming infant you feel that there will be no other state of being.

It's been a week now and I just suddenly realized that it's been quiet. I thought I'd just gotten used to it. The silence seems as loud as the crying. Maybe it's just the residual ringing in my ears. She has not once cried without it meaning she is tired, hungry or wet. In fact, as I write this the realization dawns on me that it has been since she sat up for the first time on her own in My Gym last week. It can only get better from here as she learns to roll over and crawl.

I never thought it could happen, but truly the crying has ceased and only laughter has taken it's place. They were right. It does just stop. :)

No comments: